Tentative Course Schedule
*****Please note that all readings are due on the date under which they are listed*****
Instructor reserves the right to modify course schedule as necessary.
Unit 1: Historical Contexts
T 8/27: Introduction
- Hing, Bill Ong. “What does it mean to be Asian American?” Major Problems in Asian American History.
- Omi, Michael and Howard Winant. “Racial Formations”
Th 9/12: RESPONSE PAPER DUE
- Guest Speakers, Union of Pan Asian Communities and Kuya Ate Mentorship Program
Unit 2: Yellow Power
T 10/1: Vincent Who? (2009) Dir. Tony Lam
Th 1/3: CLASS CANCELLED
- Vo, Linda Trinh. “Beyond Color-blind Universalisms: Asians in a ‘Postracial America.’ Journal of Asian American Studies, Volume 13, Number 3, October 2010, pp. 327-34
- Fan, Chris. “Jean Quan and the Death of Asian America.” Hyphen
- Liu, Kenji. “Memory is Solidarity: Ogawa-Grant Plaza as Opportunity.” Reproductive Justice Blog.
T 10/15: IN-CLASS MIDTERM EXAM
Unit 3: Waves of War
Th 10/24: Chapter 1, The Gangster We Are All Looking For.
T 10/29: Chapter 2, The Gangster We Are All Looking For.
Th 10/31: Chapter 3, The Gangster We Are All Looking For.
T 11/5: Chapter 4, The Gangster We Are All Looking For.
Th 11/7: Chapter 5, The Gangster We Are All Looking For.
T 11/12: COMMUNITY EVENT REFLECTION PAPER DUE
- Guest Speakers. Karen Organization of San Diego
- UNHCR, Quick Fact Sheet: Burmese Resettlement from Tham Hin Camp in Thailand.
Unit 4: Making Home
Th 11/14: Homebound, Ch 1
T 11/19: Homebound, Chs 2 & 3
Th 11/21: Homebound, Chs 4 & 5
T 11/26: Homebound, Ch 6
Th 11/28: NO CLASS – HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
T 12/3: Homebound, Ch 7
- Homebound, Ch 8
- Silent Sacrifices (2001) Dir. Patricia Heras
T 12/10: Homebound, Ch 9
FINAL EXAM: TUES 12/17, 10:30-12:30